Monday, October 25, 2010

Stiff As A Board

I woke up this morning with sore legs and an ache in my back.  It all started on Saturday when I decided to do a club ride on my Fuji Tourer.  Normally not a major problem, but this ride was a bit faster and had more climbs.  There were only 5 of us. I new I was out classed with 2 Titanium, 1 Carbon, 1 Aluminum and me with my 35# Cromoly frame but I was determined to try the ride.  I advised the leader that if things got too tough for me I would jump off.  I had no problem finding my way home.  I did suck wind on some of the climbs and they were kind enough to wait.  On the flats and down hills I was on target.  The ride started off quick and I was curious if all could maintain that pace.  As it turned out 2 of the riders had trouble keeping up towards the second half so I was pretty happy with myself.  This was a 40 mi ride, but since I rode to the start, the ride was 52 miles for me.  The following day on Sunday there was another club ride right by my house.  It was a familiar slower pace and flatter ride so I felt comfortable.  More riders and all with their usual feather light bikes.  There was an old friend I hadn't seen in a while who new me as a recumbent rider only. We laughed as she made fun of my steel bike with fenders and kickstand.  I met some old and new people and had a great time on this 40 mile ride.  Today, Monday, I woke up stiff as a board.  The weather was unusually warm and I decided the best remedy would be a relaxing ride by myself, at my own pace, on my trike.  At first, I had trouble and found myself using lower gears, especially on the hills.  As the ride went on I felt stronger.  I was surprised to finish this 30 miler with my usual average speed.  Not quite as sore anymore either.  I also realized it's easier to go from Recumbent to Diamond Frame, than the other way around.  Great couple of days.
KEEP RIDING!!!

No comments: