Thursday, December 20, 2018

Catrike Pocket

After being trikeless for over 2 years I finally purchased a new Catrike Pocket. My original plan was to get another ICE that folds, but spending near $5k and the bike spending most of its time outside unprotected, I opted for something less expensive. We are Wintering in Central Florida near The Withlacoochee Trail and there is a great recumbent bike shop called Trailside Bikes. I test road a few trikes including Greenspeed and Trident but it was the Catrike Pocket that intrigued me. First off the price was only $1950 with Winter promotion. The trike is well named as it has a small footprint and is one of the lightest trikes made. It easily fit in the back of my CR V which was a major criteria as we travel full-time. It is a low slung trike which concerned me. I opted to add a Ventist seat pad for both added comfort and raised me up just a bit. I added Arkel bags specific for Catrike and a rack I had laying around. The promo color Aqua Blue is beautiful.
I've put just 100 miles on so far and the jury is out on weather I like it. I am not a fan of direct steering but it was something I can overlook based on the price and portability. My main issue is the seating position. I'm not sure I can get used to it. The Ventist pad helps but not enough. If I cannot acclimate myself it will go up for sale. Needless to say my wife is not happy with the monetary loss I will take. If I do sell I don't think I will buy another trike. I have been very happy with my folding Xootr Swift which now has over 10,200 miles in just 2.5 years. It is actually one of my favorite all-time rides and you can't beat it's portability. I do hope I can get used to the Pocket. It is well made with very nice components and accessories at a very respectable price.


No comments: