Thursday, April 5, 2012

Greenway Does 50 Miles

The start

Horses

Nice spot


Yearling

Nice

Union Transportation Trail

1/2 way point

Cows

The End
Most of my new Greenway miles have been between 20-30. Today I thought would be a good day to take it on my favorite 50 mile loop. The air was cool with temps around mid 50's, light winds, and abundant sunshine. I wanted nothing more than to appreciate this fine Spring day. This loop has just about everything. Flats, hills, tow path and some of the nicest scenery Central Jersey has to offer. The Greenway handled the hills with ease, like a billy-goat. On 2 of the steepest grades, however, I only managed 2.7 mph. At the 1/2 way mark I had the opportunity to take the trike on the new graveled Union Transportation Trail. It did not fare well. It jarred my fillings loose just like on my ICE T trike. Maybe bigger, softer mountain bike tires will help. This is not a bike friendly surface. About 5 miles down the road I took a relaxing break in Assunpink Wildlife Refuge. I then completed this exact 50 mile loop with lightly tired legs and a huge appetite.
Keep Riding!!!

No comments: