Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Winter Woe n Wear

One of the features I love most about recumbent riding is I can wear pretty much anything. No special clothes required. The best is Summer, shorts, t-shirt and sandals. Everyday attire and out the door. Unfortunately, Winter riding requires thought and preparation. It doesn't matter whether you darn Walmart put together or techie bike clothes. It still requires work. You have to check the weather and figure out what layers are best. Do I need the super heavy weight shirt? Wool cap, balaclava and which gloves to wear. No such thing as, I'll hop on the bike for a quick run to the store. Not a big deal for weekend warriors on a club ride, but is, if you use your bike for both sport and errands. Nothing like walking into the local market looking like some alien from outer space. It's a good thing I'm not too shy. The other issue is laundry and plenty of it. After all, I'm wearing two sets of clothes on each ride. It takes a lot to get out and ride but as my son says " it's better than being warm n toasty at work".






2 comments:

Unknown said...

Something I've found riding a recumbent is that my feet don't get near as cold. I don't know if it's the different angle going into the wind or what. I'm curious, do you ride much in snow? If so do you find it easier on a recum? I would imagine a tricycle would be fairly stable but do you have accumulation issues?

TheJerseyPedaler said...

IMHO a trike is the only way to ride with snow and ice. Of course if there is a lot of accumulation nothing moves.