Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Annual Birthday Ride


Since age 50 I have been riding my age annually in the month of my birthday, January. This year I finally got the opportunity to do it in warm sunny Florida. We are now "Snowbirding" in Ft Myers and thankfully there are many cycling routes available. With the help of the local bike club, Caloosa Riders, I was able to obtain cue sheets for a 40 mile ride onto which I was easily able to add another 25 miles. It was a perfect sunny day with temps in the upper 70's and winds under 10 mph. Wind is the issue in Florida. You would thing that pedaling flat Florida would be easy but it is not. You must constantly pedal without any relief from coasting downhill. With that, there is still little to complain as Florida invests in it's parks and biking/walking paths.
Being on the road made it difficult to store multiple bikes, so all are gone except for my Xootr Swift folder which I have become quite fond of. My daily rides have not been more than 28 miles and I was a bit concerned about 65 miles. In the past few years my high mileage day has been my birthday ride.
Be that as it may, I managed to do the ride and with an additional 3 unplanned miles. I am happy to accomplish this milestone at Medicare eligibility. I suspect this will be my last time. I have accomplished more personal cycling goals than I could have imagined. I will continue to go about pedaling and enjoy everyday I get to ride.

                           

No comments: