Monday, December 12, 2011

Marathon Racer Review


I have about 4,000 miles on my Schwalbe Marathon Racer tires.  I thought a review at this time would be appropriate.  As you can see from the photos there is little wear for bicycle tires with this much milage.  This compares favorably to my old Kenda Kwest.  I believe I could get another year out of these tires.  I  had only 2 flats in the 8 months, which is on par with my track record.  The 2 flats were on the right front tire, where the most road debris is.  The holes were tinny in nature and centered on the tire.  Not sure of Schwalbe flat protection.  The ride is good, but not as good as my all time favorite Tioga Comp Pool tires(no longer manufactured).  I find 50-55psi offers the best comfort and rolling resistance on a trike.  Traction seems fine although I don't do much mud slinging.  I purchased these tires on sale from Utah Trikes at $25 each plus shipping.  I believe they are now $32.  These are very good tires and are serving me well.  I do prefer 1.75 tires with a tread-less design.  The only ones now made close in design is Greenspeed Scorchers, which are expensive and don't last long and Schwalbe's Durano and Kojak, also expensive and narrower.  Schwalbe does make 1.75 tires that are very durable but have a significant weight penalty.  In summary, I am pleased with my purchase and overwhelmingly happy with tread life.
KEEP RIDING!!!

No comments: