Friday, February 12, 2016

Lost That Lovin' Feeling

Winter is the worst time of year for me with it's short, cold, windy days. Getting out for extended miles is just too difficult so I have to settle on 20 mile rides. Fortunately, now that I no longer work, I can ride more days. I only missed 6 days in January and 3 in February. I have more than double my mileage since the same time last year. The funny part is most of these miles have been on my non recumbent Fuji. Initially it was my only other ride while waiting on parts for my trike. Now for some unknown reason it's just fun to ride. It's noway near as comfortable as my trike, but with some shifting around it works well on these shorter Winter rides. The front derailuer broke and I've been riding it as a 9 speed, which for around here is fine. This bike has sat on the trunk of my car in the rain for weeks while traveling. It is my beater bike and with some extra lube shifts fine and just keeps on going. I bought the bike in 2009 and am still using the original 32mm Kenda tires. The seat could be better but it works for 20-30 miles in regular clothes. I mean no padded shorts, just my cotton underwear. The bike is 7 years old and only had 1300 miles until the last 2 months where I added over 600 miles. The biggest problem I have is a runny nose. I guess from leaning over compared to the face up posture of recumbents. I was looking over some old posts, one of which talked about how I just couldn't get comfortable on the Fuji and it was a lost cause. Now it's all I want to ride. I am waiting for things to warm up and dry out before I get back on my trike with it's new drivetrain. I'm sure it will be love at first ride again. I'm still the odd ball cyclists as most riders here are the spandex hammerhead types on their 15lb CF bikes. It doesn't much matter to me as long as I get out and pedal. No indoor trainers for me. It will be interesting to see how things turn out.
Until then I'll just,
KEEP RIDING!!!




No comments: