Monday, January 12, 2009

2009 Birthday Ride

As of my 50th birthday, I decided to do my age in miles. This is my 7th year and I am happy to say I am still on track. It is not easy being a January baby and trying to do these miles in Jersey's winters. I allow myself 1 week before and after my birthday to accomplish this task.

It was a bit questionable this year as to "weather" I could make it. Significant snow in the forecast. Fortunately the weather service was wrong. Go figure.

January 12, the day after my birthday was cold. Temps in the 20's warming up to 30 with winds at 10mph. All in all not a bad day. I dressed perfect and unfortunately lost my son's cap. I had a backup ear wrap which worked great.

It was an interesting ride. I saw chickens, a dead deer hanging upside down and a loose White German Shepard in my path. I was 20 miles from home and tired. The Shepard was munching on the contents of someones garbage pale. I did not want to turn back and was hoping the Shepard was more interested in eating the garbage than me. As a dog lover I decided to take the chance. I crossed over to the opposite lane, rode slow, and found the dog more interested in his food than me. It was getting colder and I was happy not having to take any detours.

The ride ended on the money at 57.2 I am not sure how much longer I can endure these Birthday miles in the winter. I may have to go south. All in all it was a very enjoyable and accomplished ride.

KEEP RIDING!!!


No comments: