Monday, May 30, 2011

You Know You're a Commuter When

Today I did my first commute to work by bike on my latest job.  We have had some great warm, hot, hazy days of summer.  I decided to commute the 10 miles on my Fuji tourer to work today on Memorial Day.  I gave myself plenty of time and decided to relax and enjoy the early morning commute.  Weather was warm,  with almost no cars on the road at 5:30 am.  I felt it would be a nice ride.  With only 4 miles to go I noticed the sun was obscured and there was a faint mist in the air.  Seconds later the rain set in and it started to pour.  I hit every puddle imaginable and arrived work totally drenched.  I new my sneakers were soaked but I felt confident my uniform would remain dry in my Arkel Bag.  As things turned out my water bottle filled with Gatorade had leaked in my bag making my uniform totally saturated..  I was a mess and my collegues had a good laugh.  Fortunately, my place at work, has it's own laundry and I was able to to get things dried, including my sneakers in reasonable time.  Being a holiday things were pretty quiet and the day was uneventful.  After my 12 hr shift I changed back into my dry commuter clothes and road home.
Like camping, you are not a true commuter until your have commuted in the rain.
KEEP RIDING!!!

No comments: