Monday, October 22, 2012

Greenway Revisited

I have 3 recumbents. 06 Stratus LWB, 06 ICE T Tadpole trike and 2012 Greenway Delta trike. Since my recent acquisition of my new/used Stratus, I have ignored my other 2 trikes. The other day I got re-acquainted with my ICE T which was my favorite ride for 6 yrs. In fact it was the reason I sold my original Stratus in the first place. Today I decided to revisit with my Greenway. Of late I have only been using this bike for local errands and shopping. It is the perfect bike for utility riding with it's large rear cargo area. It is also great for casual cycling with it's 3 point stance. As with most trikes, cars give you a wide birth. On the Greenway they seem to give me even more room. Sometimes I think they believe I am handicapped. Whatever the reason, not being buzzed makes for a nice relaxing ride. Sitting up high also gives you a nice view of things especially compared to the tadpole trikes. The Greenway also has a low bottom bracket which works better for me. This is one heavy bike with a base weight of 56 lbs. If they could shave 10-15 lbs this would be one awesome machine. It's 192 gears does make climbing easier but again there is no running from the weight. The one thing that annoys me most is the disk brakes. They are finicky, difficult to adjust and always squeal when wet. I love drum brakes, no maintenance, last forever, don't squeal and stop big rigs well. My trike is equipped with a fairing which is not meant for aerodynamics as much as it is for weather protection. I also have fenders, very large fenders, 60 mm wide. These are made for 2.0 or larger tires. Any tires smaller look lost under these fenders. I have had a few different type tires on and my latest "Bling" are these orange 2.125 Kenda Komfort Kontact tires. They look outrageous and add to the "Cool Bike" effect. They are extremely comfortable and have minimal rolling resistance  The major issue is they are heavy. The jury is still out on whether to keep the cool bike bling effect or change back to lighter Continental Contact Sport tires. If I do change to a smaller lighter tire I will change out the fenders also. The Greenway was purchased in March and has over 2100 miles. Riding it on this beautiful Fall day makes me continue to appreciate it's fine qualities. This bike is not for everyone but is a keeper for me.

No comments: