Wednesday, September 4, 2013

I Don't Get It

I have done more miles this year than ever so why am I slower. It seems of late I am consistently 1/2-1 mph slower on all my rides. I feel good, strong and climb better than ever. Is age playing a role? Is riding alone not challenging enough? Sometimes I wish I didn't use a computer to track my mileage and speed. After all it's all about the ride and how I got there not how fast. I can't do much about age except be grateful. As far as riding with a club, well, that's not going to happen. I don't like being a greyhound chasing a rabbit. I wouldn't mind riding with someone if they rode the same pace and miles as me. In my 25 years of cycling I haven't found anyone. It's not like I'm antisocial or not willing to compromise.  I can be quite the social butterfly, just not while pedaling. When I ride it's all about me. I love my few hours of reflective solitude while my mind drifts aimlessly about. No place I have to be, smell the roses and enjoy what life has to offer.  I"m fortunate to spend as much time riding as I do. Taking a bit longer only increases the joy.

No comments: