Monday, February 17, 2014

A Week From Today

It's been a few months in planning and is now down to the wire. My epic cycling adventure around Florida. Like most of the country, I have been overwhelmed with Winter. I decided this year I would plan a trip to Florida. My initial thought was to go on BikeFlorida at the end of March. The problem being, it's only a week long tour around St Augustine and Daytona, two places I have been many times. I wanted something more. I investigated Adventurecycling routes and found the Florida/Connector Loop.  St Augustine-Ft Lauderdale- Ft Myers- St Augustine, 750 miles. Fortunately, my wife is very understanding and my job flexible.  I will drive down to St Augustine, park my car and ride from there.. I figure 50 miles/day and am allowing 4 weeks. I have been advised not to make permanent long term plans and to take each day as it comes. I have never done anything of this magnitude before so this seems like the right mindset. I decided on using my ICE T as I prepared on GOBA. The fairing and carrying capacity make it a great platform for self-contained touring.
Unfortunately, the constant snow storms have made training rides impossible. I have added 10 lbs of Winter Fur and fear my bent legs are mushy. It will probably take a week of rides to comfortably hammer away. I am also concerned how well my 8 year old trike will fair. It has many miles and will be carrying quite the load. Thankfully, the first 300 miles will be flat along the coast. It will get hilly inland. My plan is to camp and motel as needed, no cooking. Most of my equipment and supplies are ready. I still have to decide on clothes. It can be quite chilly in northern Florida, especially at night and early morning. It's supposed to warm up in a couple of days and I'm hoping I can get some practice packing on the bike. If not, I will have to figure it out. I am very excited and hopeful things will fall into place. It's not the ride but the journey.

No comments: