Saturday, March 15, 2014

Marching On

The trip is over and time to move on.  I was looking forward to finally getting out for a ride. It promised to be a nice sunny day in the mid 50's and some wind.  I thought I would take the Stratus for a nice easy 35-40 miler. It's been a while since I have been on a 2 wheeler and the first few miles were shaky. The wind was gustier than anticipated and I was just not feeling all that comfortable. It was also Saturday, my least favorite day to ride. Lot's of cars packing seven days of errands into one. I was tempted to turn back and take the trike but I had an hour of reassembly and cleaning to do. I pushed on and after a few miles I was out of town and back on familiar country roads. March is a month in which you never know what to expect in weather. Freezing temps today, warm sunshine tomorrow. The one thing you can count on is wind. Today was exceptionally windy with gusts over 25 mph. The cross winds when riding through open fields was so strong I had to stop for fear of being blown over. At times I was riding 70-80 degrees angled into the wind to stay upright. Even with the wind at my back it would sometimes catch the fairing in such a way as to sail me across the road.. It was not a day for riding a 2 wheeler. I don't know why I didn't take the Greenway. I finally completed 37 miles and was grateful to get home safe and sound.



No comments: