Thursday, July 28, 2011

Am I Nuts?

Yesterday, I drove my car, down to Virginia to check out a bike.  It was 213 miles each way.  It was a beautiful cycling day and I hated to waste it in the car, but for me, it was for a good reason.  I have been wanting to add a Tour Easy Gold Rush to my stable.  The problem is they come in 6 sizes and cost a boat load.  I needed to check my size carefully before dropping so much money.  I found what appeared to be a nice used one at a reasonable price on the web.  The bike was a big disappointment.  It was way too big and did not look well cared for.  Fortunately, the shop owner had other GR sizes in stock and I got to check out more bikes.  I was finally able to get on a small and take it for a test ride.  I never road a Tour Easy before but new of their outstanding reputation.  To cut to the chase, I was not feeling the love.  Besides the bike being a bit too small for me, I found the ride too upright and not as comfortable as my old Stratus.  After all was said and done, I thanked the shop owner for his time, and drove the 200+ miles home.
If I tell this story to non cycling enthusiasts, they would say I am nuts.  For me it was time well spent learning what I like and dislike about potential bike purchases.  I wonder how many other cycling enthusiasts have done the same.
Keep Riding!!!

No comments: