Thursday, July 15, 2010

Another Bike Story

In 2001 I rode Bikevirginia on my 00 Stratus. It was my 2nd Bikevirginia and the 1st time with my new recumbent. It was the usual very hot and hilly, but well organized ride. I had made a lot of friends the year before, but always chose to ride by myself at my own pace. I would later meet up with my friends and party. It was one of those grueling HHH days and the ride was 70 plus miles. We climbed a pass over the Blue Ridge Mts. I climbed for miles into the sun at speeds below 4mph. Not an easy task on any bike. After dinner my new friends and I gathered around my tent. We were about 15-20 spent cyclists. At the time I was smoking and drinking beer when a young 20 year old sat down next to me and asked if he could join us. I said of course and offered him a beer. He looked at me strangely as if to say what kind of cyclist are you smoking. I turned to him and said " I did the same ride you did today, I am more than twice your age, on a bike that weighs more than twice yours, and you are at my party drinking my beer. Who has the problem"? We all smiled and laughed. After all was said and done we were just a bunch of loving cyclists.
Just a note I no longer smoke and rarely drink, but I still ride.
KEEP RIDING!!!

No comments: